Friday 16 March 2018

Unaussprechlichen Kulten - Keziah Lilith Medea

UNAUSSPRECHLICHEN KULTEN - Keziah Lilith Medea (IRON BONEHEAD / CRYPTS OF ETERNITY - LP/CD 2017)
Unaussprechlichen Kulten is something special for meThey're band, which I started to worship already few years ago, since I've read interview with them and heard their music for the first time. They're special, because after all these years they managed to create their own style and sound. And they're special also due to the fantastic horror-esque, obscure concept the band keeps developing. Yeah, I know that Lovecraft is rather common on the extreme metal scene, but tell me if there's any other band, which would dwell in the horror, malignancy and darkness the same way Unaussprechlichen Kulten does? There's no one else. So, after the killer "Baphomet Pan Shub-Niggurath", which was released in 2014, finally the time came for Chapter X of nameless cults' concept. This one is titled "Keziah Lilith Medea" and as we can read in the gatefold cover, it's about witchcraft, inspired by women, who've been persecuted for being witches. The title is a combination of three names: Keziah (witch from Lovecraft story), Lilith (demonic character from Jewish mythology) and Medea (from Greek myths, sorceress, often depicted as a priestess of the goddess Hecate). As always in this kind of bands, I advise to read the lyrics together with their liner notes, so you can get into the concept fully. I'm afraid that as usual some parts of the lyrics are in Spanish, so you won't be able to understand everythingbut it is something what is another characteristic aspect of this band. 
And to be honest, once I started to play "Keziah Lilith Medea", I knew exactly that this is Unaussprechlichen Kulten, because their sound became recognizable and unique. It's not only the production of their DM6 Studio, which always provides a massive, heavy and dark sound. But it's also the way Unaussprechlichen Kulten arranges the songs, their songwriting style, the riffs they come up with - which are like a mixture of Immolation and Incantation, yet done their own way... It's also the characteristic voice of Joseph Curwen, who I could easily recognize from hundreds of growlers. Only one thing has changed, compared to three previous full length albums of KultenFinally the band came up with a longer material! Previously none of their album was longer than 30 minutes. Damn, "People of the Monolith" was 22 minutes short!! This time we get 40 minutes of morbid metal of death and I'm quite happy about that haha! But longer songs didn't impact the album in any negative means. It's still the best quality South America death metal cult. 
Well, "Keziah Lilith Medea" doesn't surprise me with anything. This album follows the steps of everything this band recorded previously and do not bring anything new. And that's good, I don't know if I would like to hear some new influences in Kulten cult... probably not. They're just good at what they've always been doing and are best at. Which is massive, ferocious, brutal and often insanely fast death metal, blasphemous to its very core! Yeah, I just love their riff style; brute force, heaviness and something eerie they bring. And I love these bizarre, sinister harmonies that are included in their songs. Definitely Kulten are also one of the most evil and blasphemous sounding bands, in my opinion. Really, when you listen to their music, you feel the Devil's presence and that cold, malicious, horrifying aura. Vocals are awesome, as always, the concept is also very intriguing. So, Kulten never disappoints. And that's great.  
I have here two versions of this album - the vinyl pressing from Iron Bonehead, which looks super impressive, with booklet, poster and gatefold cover. And I have the CD version from Crypts of Eternity, which has different artwork. I think I even like this one a bit more! Ahhh, whatever else I will write, it will always be positive word, because Unaussprechlichen Kulten is special. Very recommended! 
Standout tracks: "The Woman, the Devil and God's Permit", "Firma el libro de la muerte", "Sabbatical Offering" 
Verdict: 85/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment